2016 ASEEES-MAG Summer Convention, Lviv
ASEEES is delighted to announce its second biennial summer convention, co-organized with the International Association for the Humanities (MAG).
2016 ASEEES-MAG Summer Convention
26 - 28 June 2016
Ukrainian Catholic University
The ASEEES-MAG Summer Convention will take place at the University Centre of the Ukrainian Catholic University in Lviv, Ukraine. The building address is: Kozelnytska St, 2, Lviv, Lviv Oblast, Ukraine, 79000.
The conference program will begin in early afternoon of Sun, June 26 and continue through the evening of Tue, June 28; you may arrive on Sat, June 25; we plan to schedule a city tour on the morning of Sun, June 26.
Registration will open on June 26, at 10:30am in the lobby of the Academic Building (2A Kozelnytska).
The program will feature approximately 150 panels including about 450 presentations. NOTE: There is no planned city tour. With over 500 participants, we decided that a group tour would be too difficult to manage. We apologize for any incovenience.
Participants are responsible for paying for the convention registration and for covering the costs of their own travel and stay in Lviv.
The summer convention's theme is “Images of the Other” - construction and definition of the 'Other', instrumental use and abuse of the ‘Other’ in politics, cultural and social practices; the role of ethnic, cultural, social and gender stereotypes; representations of the ‘Other’ in memory politics, art, public discourse and media; and scholarship regarding the ‘Other’ as a social construct. ASEEES and MAG invite papers;and panel proposals, related to the theme, understood in the broadest possible sense. Note: Proposals on the theme are encouraged but not required. See the call for proposals for more information.
The International Association for the Humanities was founded in 2007 with the help of the Carnegie Corporation of New York and the American Council of Learned Societies as an independent association of humanities scholars primarily in Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine. IAH/MAG publishes a newsletter "The Bridge-MOCT".
The Ukrainian Catholic University (UCU) is an open academic community and a private institution for education and research, living the Eastern Christian tradition and forming leaders to serve with professional excellence in Ukraine and internationally.
Ukrainian Visa Requirements
For stays up to 90 days, a visa is not required for passport holders of US, most European nations, former Soviet republics, South Korea, and Japan. Please check here to see if you require a visa to enter Ukraine.
Schedule of Key Dates
- Deadline for Proposals: 15 January
- Notification of selection results: 22 February (The Program Committee will notify you by email whether you have been accepted.)
- Deadline for ASEEES Travel Grant application: 15 March
- Deadline to submit request for UCU dorm room: 31 March
- Notification for UCU dorm room reservations: 15 April
- Notification for ASEEES Travel Grants: 15 April
- Preliminary Program will be available: 26 April
- Early Registration Deadline: 30 April 2 May
- Cut-off date for notification of withdrawal:15 May (“No Shows” will be penalized with exclusion from future conferences.)
- Deadline for submission of changes to the Conference Program: 15 May
- Cut-off date for reserving and paying room at the Eurohotel: 19 May
- Deadline for sending Registration Fee: 20 May 25 May (Participants who do not have a bank card or other method by which to pay in advance must notify us by this date and must pay at the conference registration desk on arrival.)
- Deadline for sending papers to Discussant and Chair: 13 June
- Conference dates: 26-28 June (the conference program will begin in the afternoon of Sun, 26 June and continue through the evening of Tue, 28 June)
- Andrzej Tymowski, Chair (ACLS, University of Warsaw)
- Olga Bukhina (MAG)
- Tamara Hundorova (National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine)
- Boris Kolonitskii (European University at St. Petersburg)
- Joanna Nizynska (Indiana University)
- Lynda Park (ASEEES)
- Bill Rosenberg (University of Michigan)
- John Schoeberlein (Nazarbayev University)
- Tatiana Shchyttsova (European Humanities University Minsk/Vilnius)
- Oleh Turiy (Ukrainian Catholic University)
- Mark von Hagen (Arizona State University)
The inaugural ASEEES summer convention in the region, co-sponsored by the Central Eurasian Studies Society, was hosted by Nazarbayev University in Astana, Kazakhstan, May 22-24, 2014.
The 2018 summer convention is tentatively scheduled to be held in St. Petersburg, Russia.