Membership & Professional Development Committee
The primary responsibilities of the Membership and Professional Development Committee are 1) to promote the growth and diversification of ASEEES membership in terms of specializations, stages in career, and backgrounds in ways consistent with the Association's mission to promote intellectual vitality in all aspects of Slavic, East European and Eurasian Studies, to support its members to share their knowledge and expertise, and to foster greater understanding of the region (including Central Asia, the Caucasus, Russia, and Eastern Europe) and its impact in the world; and 2) to suggest ways that ASEEES can enhance members' professional development.
In all of its activities the Committee should coordinate and work closely with the national office.
The Committee includes the following members to reflect the organization's diversity and outreach to underrepresented minority groups and underrepresented fields:
- Committee chair (a board member)
- Representative of the Council of Regional Affiliates
- Graduate student representative (either the graduate student representative on the ASEEES board or a graduate student serving on an affiliate organization's board)
- A representative of any rank from one of the affiliate organizations aimed at diversity and inclusion (For example, ADSEEES, AWSS, Q'ASEEES, CSW)
- Chair or other member of the Committee on Non-Academic Careers (If no one from the committee is able to serve, a member in a non-academic career should be selected after consultation with the committee chair)
- An international representative (or representative from the region) to share perspectives of non-US-based members
- Representative of a key recruitment area (For example, social sciences, art history, geography, Central Asian Studies, Eastern European Studies)
- A non-tenure stream representative to share perspectives of post-docs, adjuncts, lecturers, visiting assistant professors, and full-time salaried members
All members are appointed by the President of ASEEES and serve three-year terms.
2017 Committee Members
- David Borgmeyer, St. Louis U, 2016-2017, Committee Chair
- Jan Behrends, Center for Contemporary History (Germany), 2016-2018
- Jonathan Larson, Grinnell College, 2017-2019
- Ben Loring, Georgetown U, 2016-2017
- Jeremy Tasch, Towson U, 2016-2018
- Jennifer Wilson, U of Pennsylvania, 2016-2018