Frequently Asked Questions
If the FAQ answers below do not address your questions, please contact the ASEEES staff.
- I am new to ASEEES. What do I need to know?
- About ASEEES
- I am new to ASEEES. What do I need to know?
The Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (ASEEES) is the leading international scholarly society dedicated to the advancement of knowledge about Central Asia, the Caucasus, Russia, and Eastern Europe in regional and global context. We have approximately 3,000 members and subscribers in the U.S. and abroad, primarily from the academic community, as well as from the government and private sectors, but membership is open to anyone interested in furthering the scholarly objectives of the ASEEES. Members receive Slavic Review, the Association journal, and NewsNet, the ASEEES newsletter, as well as several benefits available exclusively to members online. For details on membership benefits and dues information, please see Individual Membership.
- How do I renew my membership?
There are two ways to join or renew your membership:
- Join and create a member account online. See Individual membership for more information about membership types and dues levels.
- Download a form to fill out and submit by email, fax, or post: Forms are available in MS-Word or PDF; fill out the form and return to the address on the form. You can pay with any major credit card, or by check or money order payable to 'ASEEES' in US dollars.
- When does my membership start and end?
Membership is always January 1 to December 31. If you join during the year, your membership is retroactive to January 1. However, if you join after November 1, your membership will not take effect until the following January 1.
- I'm retired. How much are my dues?
We do not have a specific rate for retired members—our membership rates are based on income categories. If you would like to continue as a full member, you can simply select the membership dues which apply to your current income as an emeritus/a.
- How do I pay my department's Institutional Membership dues?
You will log in as yourself—if you're familiar with Facebook, think of your department's account as like a Page. If you are the department's Primary Contact, if you log in under your own name and visit the Online Store, you will be asked if you would like to "Shop For" yourself or your organization. Choose the organization's name and proceed to select your institution's membership level, then proceed through checkout. If you are not asked to Shop For the organization, or do not see the "[Select Customer]" link in the Online Store, you are not properly set up as Primary Contact—write firstname.lastname@example.org to have the institution's Primary Contact set.
- How do I submit a convention proposal?
- How do I register for the convention?
- I registered, but can't make it. Can I get a refund?
Partial refunds may be available before the preregistration deadline. See the convention refund policy for details.
After the preregistration deadline (about a month before the Convention), refunds are not available. However, please still notify Convention Coordinator Wendy Walker and the organizer and members of any sessions in which you are scheduled to participate.
- I didn't receive a copy of the latest NewsNet or Slavic Review
Contact the subscriptions coordinator to request a new copy. Please include the correct address to which the publications should be sent.
- I would like to order an additional copy of a NewsNet or Slavic Review
Contact the subscriptions coordinator to order back issues. Slavic Review back issues are $60 each, $25 for members, plus shipping. NewsNet back issues are $7, plus shipping.
- I can't remember my password to the ASEEES Member Site.
Go to Forgot Your Password? and enter the email address you registered with. You should then receive an email with a link to set a new password. If you cannot remember which e-mail address you used for the registration, please contact email@example.com and we can check your records for you.
- How do I register myself in the ASEEES Member Site?
First, make sure you don't already have an account—if you have been a member of ASEEES or AAASS in the last ten years, or attended a recent ASEEES Convention, there may already be an account in your name. If an account exists under an old email address you can't access, or if you are uncertain if an account already exists for you, please contact ASEEES at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (412) 648-9911 for assistance.
If you're sure you don't already have one, visit New User Registration to create an account. The system will then walk you through filling out your membership profile. Make sure you enter at least one accurate mailing address to receive your copies of Slavic Review and NewsNet.